North American region
- Penal del Altiplano - Almoloya de Juarez, State of Mexico. Full Supermax and the only facility of this kind in Mexico.
- This list is incomplete; you can help by .
Most of these facilities only contain supermax wings or sections, with other parts of the facility under lesser security measures.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- West Virginia
- Edmonton Institution - Edmonton, Alberta - Canadian Prairie Region Maximum Security Prison
- Millhaven Institution (Bath, Ontario, Canada) - Houses non-Canadian citizens being held by Security certificates and those considered "the worst of the worst".
- Kingston Penitentiary (Kingston, Ontario, Canada)
Complete list of Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) institutions
- Nova Institution for Women—Atlantic Institution—Dorchester Penitentiary—Springhill Institution—Westmorland Institution --
- Archambault Institution—Cowansville Institution—Donnacona Institution—Drummond Institution—Federal Training Centre—Joliette Institution—La Macaza Institution—Leclerc Institution—Montée St.-François Institution—Port-Cartier Institution—Regional Reception Centre—Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines Institution --
- Grand Valley Institution for Women—Bath Institution—Beaver Creek Institution—Collins Bay Institution—Fenbrook Institution—Frontenac Institution—Isabel McNeil House—Joyceville Institution—Kingston Penitentiary—Millhaven Institution—Pittsburgh Institution—Regional Treatment Centre—Warkworth Institution—Prison for Women --
- Edmonton Institution for Women—Bowden Institution—Drumheller Institution—Edmonton Institution—Grande Cache Institution—Grierson Centre—Okimaw Ohci Healing Lodge—Pê Sâkâstêw—Regional Psychiatric Centre—Riverbend Institution—Rockwood Institution—Stony Mountain Institution—Saskatchewan Federal Penitentiary--
- Fraser Valley Institution for Women—Ferndale Institution—Kent Institution—Kwìkwèxwelhp Healing Lodge—Matsqui Institution—Mission Institution—Mountain Institution—Regional Health Centre—William Head Institution--
- Centro de Readaptação Provisória de Presidente Bernardes (Presidente Bernardes, São Paulo, Brazil) - inspired by the supermax standards, although prisoners can only stay there for a maximum of 2 years.
- Penitenciária Federal de Catanduvas (Catanduvas, Paraná, Brazil) - also based on the supermax standards. It is the first federal prison in Brazil, designed to receive prisoners deemed too dangerous to be kept in the states' prison systems.
- Penitenciária Federal de Campo Grande (Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil)
- Penitenciaría de Cómbita (Colombia) - follows supermax specifications, hosts terrorists and drug lords.
- Portlaoise Prison (Portlaoise, Ireland) - one of the most secure prisons in Europe, protected full time by members of the Irish Defence Forces.
- Belmarsh (HM Prison) (London - England) - its most notable residents are terrorists, including many of the alleged terrorists of the 2006 transatlantic aircraft plot imprisoned there.
- Frankland (HM Prison) - Durham - England - Maximum Security Prison with a special unit for prisoners suffering from Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorders.
- Full Sutton (HM Prison) - York - England - Maximum Security Prison.
- Long Lartin (HM Prison) - Worcestershire - United Kingdom - Maximum Security Prison.
- Maghaberry (HM Prison) - Lisburn - Northern Ireland - Maximum Security Prison
- Manchester (HM Prison) - Strangeways Manchester - England - Maximum Security.
- HMP Shotts - Scotland - Maximum Security, Holds some of the UK's most dangerous and violent criminals.
- HMP Whitemoor - (March, Cambridgeshire - England) - houses up to 500 of the most dangerous criminals in the UK. It has a unit called the Close Supervision Centre which is referred to as a "Prison inside a Prison". Also home to a Dangerous and Severe Personality Disorder Unit.
- Wakefield (HM Prison) - (Wakefield - England) - Maximum Security Prison with a Close Supervision Centre
- Woodhill (HM Prison) - Milton Keynes - England - Maximum Security Prison with a Close Supervision Centre
- Nieuw Vosseveld - Dutch High Security prison in Vught
- Stammheim Prison - German High Security Prison, partly purpose-built to keep terrorists in the 70s.
- Goulburn Correctional Centre - High Risk Management Unit (HRMU) (Goulburn, New South Wales)
- Casuarina Prison - Special Handling Unit (SHU) (Perth, Western Australia)
- Risdon Prison - Wilfred Lopes Centre (Risdon Vale, Tasmania)
- Barwon Prison - Barwon Supermax (Lara, Victoria)
- Port Philip Prison - Sirius East Unit (Laverton, Victoria)
- Brisbane Correctional Centre - 18-cell Maximum Security Unit (Brisbane, Queensland)
- Alexander Maconochie Centre - 12-cell Supermax Section (Hume, Australian Capital Territory)
- Yatala Labour Prison - G Division (Northfield, South Australia)
- Alice Springs Correctional Centre - Facility under refurbishment; to be opened in 2011 (Alice Springs, Northern Territory)
Notable supermax inmates
- Theodore Kaczynski, the Unabomber
- Annanias Mathe, held in South Africa's C Max Prison in Pretoria for murder, rape, attempted murder and armed robbery. Also the only person to have escaped from this prison in its history.
- Dandeny Muñoz Mosquera, former chief assassin for the Medellín Cartel of Colombia
- Terry Nichols, conspirator in the Oklahoma City bombing
- Richard Reid, the "shoe bomber"
- Eric Robert Rudolph, abortion clinic and 1996 Centennial Olympic Park bomber
- Carlos Lehder, Colombian cocaine trafficker, a founding member of the Medellín Cartel
- Zacarias Moussaoui, the alleged "20th hijacker" in the September 11, 2001 attacks. Spared the death penalty when it was determined he was not directly involved in the 9/11 attacks.
- Ramzi Yusef, World Trade Center bomber
- Robert Hanssen, American FBI Agent turned Soviet spy
- Omar Abdel-Rahman, terrorist leader
- Sammy Gravano, "The Bull", notable Mafia leader
- John Walker Lindh, "American Taliban", incarcerated at the supermax prison for a short time, currently serving his sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution, Terre Haute at Terre Haute, Indiana. 
- Christopher Boyce, Soviet spy (now released)
- Larry Hoover, the leader of the Chicago-based Gangster Disciple Nation gang. On June 18, 1998, Hoover was convicted of participating in a continuing criminal enterprise and sentenced to six life terms, seven terms of 20 years, three four-year terms, and one five-year term under federal mandatory sentencing guidelines, with all sentences running concurrently and in addition to the 150-200-year sentence he received for his 1973 murder conviction.
- Jeff Fort, co-founder of the Black P. Stones gang, and founder of its El Rukn faction, and attempted terrorist for Libya 
- Kenneth McGriff, American drug trafficker and organized crime figure. Subject of the book "Queens Reign Supreme", and basis of the fictional characters Nino Brown in the 1991 film New Jack City and Majestic in Get Rich or Die Tryin'.
- David Ayala, Infamous leader of Chicago's Gangster Two Six street gang.
- Charles Bronson, United Kingdom: British bank robber & serial hostage taker. Has spent 26 years in Maximum-security solitary conditions. Received a life sentence in 2000 for a hostage taking incident, lasting over 40 hours in Hull Prison.